What Can I Do After a Fairfield County Car Accident?
Find out about the steps you can take to boost your chances of having a successful car accident claim.
A car or truck accident can have a serious impact on injury victims and their families for years to come. In only a moment's notice, you and your loved ones may have your lives turned upside down due to catastrophic and life-threatening injuries.
Knowing what to do after an accident is one of the most difficult and confusing things accident victims in Fairfield County will likely ever face. However, the decisions you made in the minutes, hours and days after a car accident can be the difference between a successful recovery and years of physical, emotional and financial difficulty.
Vishno Law Firm recommends taking the following steps after an accident:
- Call the police right away and tell them you need medical assistance. Some injuries may not become apparent immediately following a crash. If a driver appears to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, tell the police.
- Obtain full names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of other drivers and witnesses. In addition, obtain driver's license and insurance information from all drivers involved in the accident.
- Take photos and make notes about the accident. Get information about other vehicles involved, such as make, model and license plate number. What were the weather conditions? Were any vehicles damaged? Was a traffic signal nearby?
- Make note of names and badge numbers of police officers dispatched to the scene of the accident.
- Make note if another driver took blame for the accident.
What should drivers avoid doing after a car accident?
- Don't leave the scene of an accident. This is illegal in the state of Connecticut.
- Don't forget to call 911. Even if you believe nobody was hurt in a crash or property damage seems minor, police and medical records are often imperative to protecting your legal rights if a legal dispute arises.
- Do not admit fault for the accident to another driver or witnesses. Insurance companies often look for ways to discredit drivers using their own words.
- Don't take shortcuts documenting your accident. Make sure you have proper documentation from the other driver. When filing an accident claim, try to remember as many details as possible.
- Don't delay in seeking medical attention, filing your accident claim, or speaking to an experienced lawyer. A Delay may affect your rights.
Can a car accident lawyer help me?
People injured and families who lose loved ones in Fairfield County know they can turn to Vishno Law Firm to help obtain maximum compensation for their losses. That's because Attorney Jeremy Vishno has worked one-on-one with accident victims and families needing assistance with wrongful death claims throughout southwest Connecticut for over 25 years.
Attorney Vishno handles your case personally. He knows how to find the right evidence. He knows what it takes to build a solid, successful legal strategy on your behalf. Contact us today. Call 888-222-1688 to schedule a free case consultation at our Fairfield or New Haven office locations. Serving Bridgeport, Norwalk, Stamford, Danbury, Waterbury and Shelton.